I'm watching the Aaliyah: One in a Million special again and the video for "If Your Girl Only Knew" came on. It really hits me now how much I miss 90's R&B. All these songs their playing from her are classics! Let's not forget TLC, BoyzIIMen, Janet and Mary J. I thought today I would post my top ten....
10) Aaliyah "If Your Girl Only Knew". I cane to like this song later on, but to me it's one of the best ones of it's day. Aaliyah didn't have the powerhouse voice that others do, but it was a very pleasent voice and worked well with her music.
9) DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince "Summertime". Can you think of a more laid-back song for a summer night? I know I can't....
8) Deborah Cox "Who Do You Love?" This is such an emotional song! The first time I heard it, I was instantly addicted and went out to get the cassette single.
7) Adina Howard "Freak Like Me". I was a bit of a sheltered kid and didn't date at the time, so it cracks me up to think of sitting in my room, blasting this one while I danced and sang at the top of my lungs. I think singing "I got a freaky secret, everybody sing cause we don't give a damn about a thing" was the first time I ever used a curse word.
6) All-4-One "Roll Call" This is just a fun song and I couldn't get enough of it when I first heard it! Sadly, can't find this one anywhere, so I have to make this a tie with "I Swear".
5) Mary J Blige "Going Down". This is such a soulful song. I remember one of my friends introduced me to it and it quickly earned a place on one of my mixtapes.
4) Brandy "Sitting Up In My Room". I dare you to put this song on and not smile. Such a feel good love song with a little bit of attitude.
3) TLC "Kick Your Game". This wasn't one of their singles off Crazy, Sexy, Cool but it is one of my favorites on the whole CD.
2) BoyzIIMen "Motown Philly". This one instantly takes me back to junior high and is just a really fun song. I love how this is basically a BoyzIIMen autbiography.
1) Mariah Carey "Vision of Love". Talk about a revelation- outside of Whitney I had never heard someone with a voice like this before. I really miss music like this from her.
I've made a youtube playlist for you to enjoy in case you haven't heard some of these songs. Enjoy and please share your own favorites! Til next time....